School Outreach Internship Program
The Providence School Outreach Department offers paid internships for college seniors each quarter. Undergraduate seniors from any major are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to first generational college students (parents/guardians have not earned a Bachelor’s degree).
Internships are offered in a variety of non-clinical roles to give students experience in different Providence departments. Examples of departments include: Providence Brain and Spine Institute, Finance, Emergency Management, Operational Excellence, School Outreach, Communications, New Patient Call Center, Physical Therapy, and more!
The internships are designed to provide mentorship, training and opportunities to develop new skills. Some interns will have specific job roles while others will have project-based responsibilities. As an intern, you’ll have:
- Providence employee orientation
- Exposures to various departments within Providence
- Opportunities to participate in surgical viewings and/or career exposure events
- 2-3 intern workshops on topics including: Professionalism and How to Get a Job
- Opportunity to join the Providence College Club (a monthly opportunity to meet and hear from various health care professionals)
- Length of program: 10-12 weeks, maximum of 240 total hours
- Number of positions available: 7-25 depending on the quarter (more positions are available in the summer)
- Compensation: Competitive (health care benefits are not included)
Undergraduate seniors are eligible. Applicants should be Oregon or SW Washington residents or attending a college or university in this region.
The applicant must demonstrate a commitment to helping under-served members of our communities. Those with good customer service skills who can relate well with individuals from varying backgrounds are preferred.
Participants can work 1-5 days a week, but no more than 20 hours per week and 8 hours per day. 240 hours are allotted to selected applicants. Internship days can be scheduled around academic responsibilities. Time off will be considered, but not necessarily granted.
Apply through the Providence Careers website. Search “internship” to find positions. Please include a resume.
Internships also available in Hood River and Medford, OR but dates may vary. Contact School Outreach for more information.
Application acceptance dates
Internships will be posted on the Providence Careers website on the dates listed below. The posting will remain open until we receive enough qualified applicants, typically 2-4 weeks after the opening date.
- Winter 2019 internship posting open:
October 22, 2018. Posting will close on November 2, 2018.
- Spring 2019 internship posting open:
January 14, 2019. Posting will close on February 1, 2019.
- Summer 2019 internship posting open:
February 11, 2019. Posting will close on March 8, 2019.
- Fall 2019 internship posting open:
June 10, 2019. Posting will close on July 5, 2019.
Internship term dates
The official start and end dates of each internship term are listed below. However, if an intern completes 240 hours before the official end date, the internship will be completed at that point.
- Winter 2019: January 14- March 22
- Spring 2019: April 1-June 14
- Summer 2019: June 17-August 30
- Fall 2019: September 16-December 14
After applying, selected candidates will be sent an online, video recorded interview that can be completed on a smart phone, computer, or tablet. Candidates selected to move forward will then be invited to an in-person, panel style interview. The dates below are for the in-person interviews. Dates are subject to change.
- Winter 2019: November 19, 20
- Spring 2019: February 18, 19
- Summer 2019 interview dates: March 19, 20, 21
- Fall 2019 interview dates: July 17, 18
- Winter 2019 internship decisions will be finalized by December 3, 2018
- Spring 2019 internship decisions will be finalized by March 1, 2019
- Summer 2019 internship decisions will be finalized by April 5, 2019
- Fall 2019 internship decisions will be finalized by August 2, 2019
"Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law."
Interns have come from many colleges and universities including:
- Portland State University
- Portland Community College
- Oregon State University
- George Fox University
- University of Portland
- Concordia University
- Southern Oregon University
- Eastern Oregon University
- Linfield College
- Pacific University
- Walla Walla University
- Washington State University