Psychiatric consultation liaison
About the service:
- Available to Providence Health & Services physicians and staff for hospital inpatients, both adult and adolescent.
- Team consists of psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners and social workers, assisted by telephone triage clinicians.
- Results and recommendations are documented in the chart and discussed with the treating physician and staff.
- Team will continue to follow the case as indicated to assist with the implementation of recommendations, medication and behavioral management, nursing care planning, case conference, psych/chemical dependency-related discharge planning, and transfer to inpatient psychiatric services.
Indications for using the consultation/liaison service:
- Assessment of patient for suicide ideation or suicide attempt
- Consultation for psychiatric management of altered mental status such as delirium, dementia and psychosis
- Psychiatric illness concurrent with medical illness
- Alcohol or drug related issues
- Assistance with behavioral management of agitated, combative, disruptive or non-complaint patients
- Anxiety or panic symptoms
- Competency evaluation needed