How to Apply to PPMC
The Internal Medicine Residency Program participates in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP). Applicants must be registered with the NRMP.
Applications to our program are accepted through the Electronic Residency Matching Program (ERAS)
Applications for first-year positions are accepted with the following:
- Completed ERAS application
- Dean’s letter (MSPE)
- Medical School Transcript
- ECFMG report and certificate for international medical graduates (see additional criteria below)
- USMLE/COMLEX transcripts for Step 1 (with Step 2 results available before ranking deadline)
- Personal statement
- Letters of recommendation to include: letter from chairman of the Department of Medicine or attending faculty from medical clerkship and 2 additional letters of recommendation from medical school faculty who have worked closely with you
Deadline: Applications via ERAS are accepted until December 1st. Early application is recommended as interview slots are limited.
Residency Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Applicants must be graduates of:
- U.S. medical schools accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
- Canadian medical schools accredited by the LCME and Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools (CACMS)
- Osteopathic medical school accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- International medical school listed by the World Health Organization published World Directory of Medical Schools.
- Must be eligible for a training license in the State of Oregon
Information for International Medical School Graduates
- Graduates of international medical schools must submit the above required ERAS application materials
- Applicants are expected to have a current, valid certificate from the Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) by the beginning of training
- Applicants should have demonstrable inpatient experience and credible letters of recommendation from an ACGME accredited teaching hospital within the last two years. Externships, observerships and research do not meet this requirement.
- Applicants must speak fluent English, though other language skills can be an asset. Passage of the 'English Proficiency' test for the ECFMG does not assure this level of competency.
- Providence considers J1 Visa or permanent residency only.
Providence Health & Services, Portland Service Area will ensure that its ACGME-accredited programs select from among eligible applicants on the basis of their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills and personal qualities such as motivation and integrity. ACGME accredited programs in the Portland Service Area will not discriminate with regard to sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
- Interview season begins early November and extends through mid January.
- Interviews are not scheduled during the Thanksgiving holiday or Holiday weeks.
- Invitations for interviews are extended following review of each individual application. Invitations are sent via ERAS and are scheduled on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Greeting by Chief Resident
- Meet with the Program Director
- Overview of program
- Attend morning report
- Learn about ambulatory and inpatient programs
- Interview with two Medical Education faculty members
- Lunch will be provided and hosted by residents
- Tour facilities with resident
- Q&A Wrap-up
- Weekly informal dinner with residents scheduled
The current, approved version of the contract is subject to periodic revision to reflect changes in compensation, hospital policies and procedures, accreditation requirements or regulatory requirements.
After successfully matching, applicants must:
- Undergo a criminal background check
- Submit to a pre-employment drug screening
- Meet requirements to obtain a training license in the State of Oregon
- Submit proof of successful graduation from medical school
- Provide updated USMLE/COMLEX results
- Sign a Graduate Medical Education Training Agreement
- Submit to a health screening and provide required immunization documentation
- Attend required orientation