Physiatrists are experts in issues that affect body movement. Also known as physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists, they are medical doctors trained in the diagnosis, non-surgical treatment and rehabilitation of musculoskeletal (muscle and bone) conditions. They treat people with a wide range of issues related to the joints, muscles and tendons, and arthritis. In addition, they diagnose and treat complex neuromuscular (nervous system and muscle) conditions. Our team particularly specializes in back pain, stroke, spinal cord injury and providing electromyogram (EMG) and nerve conduction studies (NCS) to evaluate muscle weakness, numbness, tingling and other sensations.
At Providence, our board-certified physiatrists work with patients and families to create individualized treatment plans for injuries, illnesses, and disabilities. We take each patient’s quality of life concerns into account when recommending a treatment plan. The team’s expertise in new and advanced therapies, as well as time-tested treatments, helps patients to maximize functional recovery. Whenever possible, we offer conservative, effective treatments that can restore quality of life without the potential side effects that may come with more invasive treatments.
What we offer
- Recovery for stroke, traumatic brain injury, and spinal cord injury
- Musculoskeletal medicine
- EMG/Nerve Conduction Studies
- Spasticity treatment (Phenol and Botulinum toxin injections, intrathecal baclofen pump trial and implants)
- Fluoroscopy (X-ray) guided injections of the spine and joints
- Kyphoplasty and verterbroplasty
- Management of back and joint pain
- Osteopathic manual therapy
- Prosthetics and orthotics; including evaluation of gait disorders and amputees
- Muscular dystrophy clinic (Medford)