Providence Physiatry Services
If you suffer from muscle and bone problems and pain – whether caused by a disease, condition, disorder or injury – we’re here to help.
Physiatrists are experts in issues that affect body movement. Also known as physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists, they are medical doctors trained in the diagnosis, non-surgical treatment and rehabilitation of musculoskeletal (muscle and bone) conditions. They treat people with a wide range of issues related to the joints, muscles and tendons, and arthritis. In addition, they diagnose and treat complex neuromuscular (nervous system and muscle) conditions.
We take a holistic approach to care focused on identifying the source of pain, and finding function and mechanical balance. In general, we use medications and physical therapy as a first approach. Injections could be used along with conservative treatment. If this is not helpful, surgery may be an option.
At Providence, our board-certified physiatrists use a broad spectrum of diagnostic and treatment techniques. The team specializes in musculoskeletal medicine, spine, stroke, spinal cord injury and electromyogram (EMG) to evaluate muscle function in patients with muscle weakness.
They also provide nerve conduction studies to evaluate nerve function in patients experiencing numbness, tingling or other sensations, and injections to deliver targeted medications for spine and musculoskeletal conditions. We offer conservative, effective treatments that can restore quality of life without the potential side effects that can come with more invasive treatments.
Programs and services we offer
- Musculoskeletal medicine
- EMG/Nerve Conduction Studies
- Spasticity treatment (Phenol and Botulinum toxin injections, intrathecal baclofen pump trial and implants)
- Fluoroscopy (x-ray) guided injections of the spine and joints
- Kyphoplasty and verterbroplasty
- Management of back and joint pain
- Osteopathic manual therapy
- Prosthetics and orthotics; including evaluation of gait disorders and amputees
- Stroke, traumatic brain injury, and spinal cord injury
- Muscular dystrophy clinic (Medford)