Didactic-style and case-based learning sessions are built into the weekly resident schedule. Conferences are held throughout the year and scheduled to allow maximum attendance by residents and faculty. The conference framework is based on AAFP-recommended curriculum guidelines.
Lecture topics include care management, medical ethics, human behavior and mental health, medical informatics and computer applications, and patient education. Content is provided by residents and faculty in close collaboration.
The schedule for learning sessions:
- Practice management/OB management: first and third Wednesdays
- Case-based learning sessions: second and fourth Wednesdays
- Procedural clinic: fifth Wednesdays monthly (averages quarterly)
- Morning report: Tuesdays and Thursdays. Covers outpatient, inpatient, obstetrics, gynecology and pediatrics. Periodically includes program mortality and morbidity conference, Balint, ethics rounds and hospital staff meeting.
- Clinic or residency case conference: first and third Wednesdays. Focuses on medical home-based approach to difficult or special-needs patients.
- Grand rounds: second and fourth Wednesdays
- Resident meeting/support: While not required, we offer resident meeting/support on first Wednesdays, followed by an intern support group.