Providence Head and Neck Cancer Program
More than 50,000 Americans will be diagnosed with head and neck cancer this year. Providence Head and Neck Cancer Program offers hope to patients with benign and malignant tumors of the oral cavity (mouth), tongue, pharynx (throat), larynx (voice box), nose, paranasal sinuses, salivary glands and thyroid gland, as well as tumors at the skull base.
Since 2012, the Providence Head and Neck Cancer Clinic has treated these conditions. Our multidisciplinary treatment team includes physicians, dentists, nurses, speech pathologists, audiologists, nutritionists and social workers, who work together to provide optimal tumor control and maximal functional and aesthetic outcomes. View the Providence Head and Neck Cancer Program Newsletter.
At the Providence Head and Neck Cancer Program and Clinic, we are dedicated to:
- Providing state of the art clinical care in a patient centered environment.
- Discovering how the immune system can be harnessed to fight head and neck cancer.
- Developing new head and neck cancer therapies and clinical trials from breakthroughs in the research laboratory.
- Collaborating with colleagues across the country and throughout the world to foster state-of-the-art research and clinical care.
- Partnering with community leaders and philanthropists to raise funding and awareness for head and neck cancer research.
- Training the next generation of head and neck cancer doctors and researchers to continue the fight against cancer.
As the region’s most comprehensive multidisciplinary service dedicated exclusively to patients with head and neck cancers, we offer:
- Extensive experience in evaluation and treatment of a variety of head and neck tumors involving the oral cavity, larynx, pharynx, nose, paranasal sinuses, thyroid and salivary glands, cutaneous malignancies and periorbital tumors
- Comprehensive reconstruction, including microvascular free tissue transfer, dental implant-supported prosthetic rehabilitation, and voice and swallowing rehabilitation
- Convenient and prompt access to comprehensive services
- Close collaboration among patients, caregivers, referring physicians and cancer specialists
- Cancer support, information and referral for patients through Providence Cancer Support Services and Providence Cancer Risk Assessment and Prevention Program
- Access to innovative therapies and clinical trials through the Robert W. Franz Cancer Research Center in the Earl A. Chiles Research Institute at Providence Cancer Center
Our multidisciplinary approach to patient care ensures that patients and their referring physicians have convenient access to the combined experience and expertise of Providence Health & Services. Our highly experienced clinicians represent numerous specialties including:
- Head and neck surgery
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Microvascular surgery
- Medical oncology
- Radiation oncology
- Speech-language pathology
- Social services
- Nutrition services
- Hyperbaric medicine
Beginning with a multidisciplinary assessment, a team of specialists will work with the patient and referring physician to create a comprehensive treatment plan that is tailored to the patient’s needs. A range of comprehensive services is available, including:
Improving quality of life for patients with head and neck cancer is one of our program’s primary goals. Physicians and researchers within the program have already contributed to the development of novel methods for improving head and neck cancer treatment while retaining function and appearance. These advances in therapy and reconstruction include:
- Transoral robotic surgery
- Computer-assisted surgical resection and reconstruction
- Microvascular free tissue transfers
- Minimally invasive endoscopic skull base surgery
- Targeted radiation therapy
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy for head and neck cancer
- Immediate reconstruction and placement of dental implants
- Craniofacial implants and prosthetic rehabilitation