Providence Oncology Palliative Care Program
Providence Oncology Palliative Care Program at Providence Cancer Center offers extra care and support for you and your loved ones while you cope with the challenge of a serious cancer diagnosis. Palliative care is a type of health care that focuses on improving your physical, emotional and spiritual health while you receive cancer treatment. Find our brochure.
We give special attention to relieving pain and other distressing symptoms, including depression and anxiety. Ultimately, the goal is to improve your quality of life.
Oncology palliative care can begin at the time of diagnosis or any time afterward, and continues throughout a patient’s treatment. Recent studies have shown that patients, who receive palliative care services early in their course of treatment often experience less-adverse symptoms, require less time in the hospital and report feeling better.
How we can help
The Providence Oncology Palliative Care team includes a board-certified adult nurse practitioner and a certified oncology social worker. They can work with you, your family members and your care team to provide:
- Relief from symptoms such as pain, nausea, shortness of breath, loss of appetite and fatigue, whether caused by the cancer or the treatments
- Treatment for depression and anxiety related to the cancer
- Emotional and spiritual support
- Enhanced communication with doctors and family members
- Guidance with difficult treatment decisions
- Help with navigating the health care system
What to expect
Providence Oncology Palliative Care is located on the sixth floor of Providence Cancer Center at Providence Portland Medical Center.
The team reserves 90 minutes for your first appointment to make sure there is enough time to address all your questions and concerns. Your family members, caregivers and friends are an important part of your care, and we encourage you to bring them with you for this appointment.
After your initial appointment, the team will follow up with you on a regular basis to address concerns and provide ongoing support.
Additional Providence services
As an integral part of Providence Cancer Center, Providence Oncology Palliative Care can give patients and family members access to other helpful services:
- Dietitian services and nutrition counseling
- Naturopathic care
- Massage therapy
- Cancer counseling, support groups and classes
- Chaplain services and pastoral care
- Home health care
- Financial counseling