Providence Clinical Educational Rotations

Welcome and thank you for choosing Providence. We are honored and excited to participate in your educational experience.

Clinical education rotations may be arranged in one of several ways. The first is by working with your school’s student coordinator who may have an established relationship with Providence medical staff members. The second is by arranging a rotation directly with a provider that is either a member of Providence’s medical staff or an employee of Providence.

Additionally, Providence offers specific Programs, focusing on Family and Internal Medicine. These programs have a pre-screening application unique to that program’s requirements. Once your application is accepted by them, you will need to provide the documents outlined below to meet hospital and HR clearance requirements.

Our office does not query departments at Providence on clinical rotation availability or provide contact information of staff members.

Once your rotation is scheduled, you must ensure that your school has an Affiliation Agreement in place. Since this requirement can take several weeks to secure, be sure to allow sufficient time in the application process. If you are unsure if an agreement is in place for your school, contact the GME office.

When you have confirmed both your preceptor and school affiliation agreement, please fill out the forms below – at least 4 weeks prior to the start date of the rotation. This will ensure that appropriate background checks and informatics access requests are completed by the time your rotation begins. Missing or late forms may result in a delay of the start of your rotation. Please note that you will receive a confirmation notice that you are approved for your rotation. You cannot start without this notification.

First time applicants:

STEP 1: Supporting documentation: These documents are referenced in the Clinical Rotation Request. Please read prior to completing the request.

Compliance packet
Providence Code of Conduct

STEP 2: Clinical Rotation Request:

Clinical Rotation Request: Medical student, advance nurse practitioner and PA student
Clinical Rotation Request: Resident
Clinical Rotation Request: Fellows

NOTE: All residents and fellows must have an Oregon Medical license. You may apply for a temporary license through the Oregon Medical Board. Dental residents need to have an application in process for their license.

STEP 3: HR documentation: For Program/school coordinators to complete and submit WITH the Clinical Rotation Request for first time rotational requests.

Graduate Medical Education Student Affiliates spreadsheet

STEP 4: Compile email and send to: Providence Program Coordinators

  • Attachment 1: Clinical rotation request. If not including attestation (p. 3), you will need to provide documentation of immunizations, 10 panel drug screen, background check, and BLS/ACLS certification. Compile all of these documents into one pdf.
  • Attachment 2: GME Student Affiliates spreadsheet (xls)
  • Attachment 3: Digital photo

Returning learner – all learner types

Are you returning to Providence for another rotation? If yes, please use the attached form completed and returned to appropriate Providence Program Coordinator.

Returning Clinical Rotation Request


If you are going to be shadowing a Providence staff member for more than 8 hours, you need to complete the attached request. It contains many of the same requirements as a clinical rotation except for the school affiliation. This request is sent directly to the Providence Medical Staff member with whom you are observing and not to the Program Coordinators.

Observer Clinical Rotation Request


If you are working with a Providence staff member on a research project, please complete the attached form and send to the GME office.

Clinical Research Rotation Request


If you have arranged a rotation with someone at Providence and you are not a student in the categories listed above (medical student, advanced nursing student, PA, resident, fellow), contact the Student Affiliates office to get assistance with the correct paperwork.