Also known as:
Labor and delivery doula, Birth doula
A doula is a woman who is trained to provide continuous and nurturing physical, emotional and informational support to the birth mother during labor and delivery.
- Stay with the mother throughout her labor and delivery
- Provide emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint throughout the mother’s labor and delivery
- Assist the laboring mother with position changes, relaxation techniques, breathing and rhythmic guidance
- Advocate for laboring mother’s wishes
- Perceive their role as nurturing and protecting the mother’s memory of the birth experience
- Allow the birth partner to participate at his/her comfort level
Providence BirthPlace-Medford has volunteer doulas available; please contact the BirthPlace for more information.