Dr. Liz Stephens believes her most important role as a physician is to educate her patients, so they are empowered to make better health care decisions for themselves.
Dr. Stephens received her medical degree from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn. She completed her internship and residency at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland. She also completed a fellowship in endocrine at the University of Colorado. Dr. Stephens has a special interest in treating diabetes, primarily Type 1.
Dr. Stephens was born in New York and is married with two children. In her free time, she enjoys singing and has been in a band and made a CD. She also enjoys cycling and bikes to work daily.
Personal Statement: I joined Providence Portland Medical Education in February, 2007 as a part-time clinician-educator and endocrinoloist. I received my medical degree from Vanderbilt University Medical School, completed residency training in internal medicine at OHSU School of Medicine and did my fellowship in endocrinology, with a focus in diabetes, at the University of Colorado. I previously worked at the Portland VAMC and OHSU Diabetes Center, where I directed the insulin pump program and inpatient multidisciplinary committee. My areas of interest included intensive insulin therapy, prevention of diabetes complications and patient education and advocacy. I am currently busy teaching endocrinology and diabetes to ther residents, seeing patients 3 days per week and bike commuting to work. I have two children, ages 4 and 2.
Areas of Academic Focus:
- Profession Education/Planning Copmittee for Regional Update, American Diabetes Association Chapter, Portland
- Planning committee for Providence portland Medical Cetner Annual Practical Advances in Internal Medicine Symposium
- Participant and representative for Providence Portland Medical Center, Portland-Vancouver Regional Inpaient Glyecmic Control Collaborative
- Board member, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Portland
Most Significant Publications:
- Jabbour S, Stephens EA, HIrsch I, Goldstein B, Garg S, Riddle M (eds). Type 1 Diabetes in Adults: Principles and Practice. New York, New York: Taylor & Francis Informa, 2008.
- Stephens EA, Ryan T. Intensive insulin therapy. In: Endocrine Secrets. Philadelphia: Hanley & Belfus, Inc., in press, 2009.
- Jain M, Stephens EA. Commentary on: Intensive insulin therapy did not reduce mortality or morbidity but increased risk for stroke in cardiac surgery review. ACP Journal Club, 2007.
- Mader SL, Fuglee KA, Allen DS, Werner LR, Wanlass WA, Pagel KJ, Beliel KL, McEuen JA, Stephens EA, Allison NL, McWhorter KA, Wandling JE. Developing of a protocol of capillary blood glucose testing in nursing home and rehabilitation settings. J Am Geriatr Soc 54:1114-1118, 2006.
- Stephens EA, Thureen PJ, Goldstone ML, Anderson MS, Leitner JW, Hay WW, Draznin B. Fetal hyperinsulinemia increases farnesylation of p21 Ras in fetal tissues. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 281(2):E217-23, 2001.
- Stephens EA, Robinson JA, Gottlieb PA. Becaplermin and necrobiosis lipoidicum diabeticorum: Results of a case control pilot study. J Diab Complic 15(1):55-56, 2001.
- Redondo M, Gottlieb P, Motheral T, Mulgrew C, Rewers M, Babu S, Stephens EA, WSegmann D, Eisenbarth G. Heterophile antibodies "pseudo-interleukin 4" associated with HLA alleles protective for type 1 diabetes. Diabetes 48:2166-2170,1999.
- Green DM, Zevon MA, Reese PA, Lowrie GS, Gaeta JF, Pearce JI, Michalek AM, Stephens EA. Second malignant tumors following treatment during childhood and adolesence for cancer. Med Ped Oncol 22(1):1-10, 1994.
- Wong A, Stephens EA. A 25 year old female with Wolfram (DIDMOAD) syndrome. EndoTrends, August, 2006; 7-8.
- Klopfenstein B, Stephens EA. Management of Type 1 diabetes. AACE Self-Assessment Profile in Endocrinology and Metaoblism (ASAP),online curriculum in press, 2006.
- Stephens EA, Ryan-Turek T, Frias JP. New directions in diabetes management: Pramlintide as an adjunct to insulin therapy in type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Pract Diabetol 23(1):7-13, 2004.
- Stephens EA, Haugen BR, Nawaz S. Acute suppurative thyroiditis and hyperthyroidism in a heart transplant patient. The Endocrinologist 9:489-491, 1999.
- Stephens EA, Ryan-Turek T. Intensive insulin therapy. In: Endocrine Secrets. Philadelphia: Hanley-Belfus, Inc., 2005:13-31.
- Stephsn E, Riddle M. Evolving Approaches to Intensive Insulin Therapy in Type 1 Diabetes: Multiple Daily Injections, Insulin Pumps and New Methods of Monitoring. In: Reviews in Endocrine & Metabolic Disorders. Norwell, Massachusetts: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2003:325-334.
- Donahoo WT, Stephens EA, Eckel RH. The evaluation and management of dyslipidemia and obesity. In: Handbook of Diagnostic Endocrinology. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press, 2003:213-238.
- Stephens EA, Eisenbarth G. Type 1A diabetes as an immunologic disorder. In: Medical Management of Diabetes Mellitus. New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc. 2000:19-29.
- "New Developments in Diabetes Management: Some Steps Forward, Some Steps Back", Medical Grand Rounds, Providence Portland Medical center, 2009.
- "An Ounce of Prevention: Women and Diabetes", Providence Women's Health Lectureship, multiple sites, Portland, OR 2008.
- Diabetes Update. American College of Physicians Regional Meeting, Eugene, OR 2008.
- Diabetes Update. Multnomah County Conference for Providers, 2008.
- Speaker at 12th Annual Women's Health Conference, 2007.
- Organizer/speaker, Providence Portland Medical Center Annual Practical Advances in Internal Medicine Symposium, 2006-present.
- Organizer/moderator/speaker, Ashland Endocrine Meetings, Ashland, OR 2004-2006
- Internal Medicine Grand Rounds, Providence Portland Medical center, 2006.
- Organizer/facilitator, Diabetes and Heart Disease: Exploring the deadly connection, sponsored by OHSU, 2006.
- Update in Inpatient Medicine, speaker on inpatient diabetes managment, 2006
- Inpatient Diabetes Management and Update. Salem Hospital Grand Rounds and Patient conference, Salem, OR 2005.
- Update on Diabetes and Technology, Oregon Diabetes Educators Winter Meeting, Bend, OR, 2005.
- Organizer/speaker/moderator, Fall Ashland Conference: Focus on Infectious Diseases and Diabetes, 2004.
- Inpatient Diabetes Management, Grand Rounds at University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, Nov 2004.
- Update on Diabetes Management, Annual Scientific Assembly, Oregon Academy of Family Physicians, Skamania, WA, 2004.
- Regional Meeting of Diabetes, Exercise and Sports Association, San Jose, California, 2004.
- Update on Diabetes Management, Oregon Association of Hospital Pharmacists, Eugene, OR 2004.
- Organizer/lecturer, Taking Control of Your Diabetes Seminar for People with Diabetes, Portland, OR 2003.
- Case Studies in Type 1 Diabetes, Annual Family Practice Review, Feb 2001-2006.
- Plenary speaker, Annua Internal Medicine Review Course, 2005; lectured in 2003, 2004.
- Outpatient precepting in Endocrine Clinic, 3 days per week
- Teaching residents on Endocrine rotation, 3-5 hrs per week
- Noon conference on Endocrine issues, 8-10 lectures per year
- Ward teaching rounds, 1 months/year