Laura Loertscher, M.D., promotes health rather than simply treating disease.
She feels that having a strong doctor-patient relationship is essential to effective health care. “I believe in a partnership of communication, honesty and hard work between the doctor and patient,” she says. “I truly listen to the concerns of the patient.”
After earning her medical degree from Mayo Medical School in Rochester, Minn., she completed an internship and residency at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, where she served as chief resident. Dr. Loertscher is passionate about medical education and works closely with the internal medicine residents.
Outside the office, she enjoys spending time with her husband Jesús and their son Diego.
Personal Statement: A focus on quality as well as a patient-centered approach to clinical practice attracted me to Providence St. Vincent. In addition, their commitment to education and the opportunity to work with both medical students and residents resonated with my interest to participate in teaching in addition to clinical care.
Clinical Interests: Chronic disease management and evidence-based care.
- Phi Beta Kappa, Marquette University, 1999
- Attitude, Commitment and Excellence Award, Mayo Clinic, 2007
- Portland Top Doctor, Portland Monthly Magazine, 2013
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- Society of General Internal Medicine
- St. Vincent Internal Medicine Residency Faculty
- Member of Providence Continuing Medical Education (CME) Regional Advisory Committee
Teaching Responsibilities: Faculty at Providence St. Vincent internal medicine residency with focus in quality improvement, evidence-based medicine, and high-value care. Director of CME at Providence St. Vincent.
Personal Interests: Enjoys exploring the great outdoors with her family as well as biking, running, soccer and quilting.