When it comes to helping kids play smart,
we all have a stake in the game.
Screening can save lives
Play Smart, sponsored by Providence Heart and Vascular Institute, provides:
- Free heart screenings for youths ages 12 to 18, which include:
- Blood pressure measurement
- Echocardiogram if needed
- Resources to learn more about sudden cardiac arrest and heart disease prevention
- A community for learning and sharing
What to expect in a heart screening? This educational video takes you through the screening process.
It takes a community – parents, teachers, medical professionals and you – to prevent sudden cardiac arrest in young people. Increased access to automated external defibrillators, education on cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and youth cardiac screenings will save lives.
The most common cause of sudden cardiac arrest in young people is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, or HCM, an inherited disease that affects 1 in 500 people. HCM can thicken the heart’s walls and cause it to beat in dangerous rhythms. While symptoms may include chest pain, shortness of breath or fainting, some kids with HCM have no symptoms at all.
Other causes of sudden cardiac arrest include coronary artery anomalies, Marfan syndrome, commotio cordis and electrical abnormalities, such as long QT syndrome.
Play Smart encourages you to learn more about heart disease and to help educate others. Join our community on Facebook to share your story. Let’s learn more together – because we all have a stake in the game.
We are the largest provider of cardiac services throughout Oregon. More than 80 highly skilled cardiologists and surgeons care for more than 13,000 patients each year, integrating patient education and prevention with advanced diagnostics and treatment.
Free Youth Heart Screenings
Make a donation » Our pledge is to offer Play Smart™ Screenings at no charge. You can help with a tax-deductible donation.
Outreach Screening Events
- May 4 (Wed.): 5-8 p.m. - Providence Medical Group - Mill Plain (Vancouver)
- May 6 (Fri.): 5-9 p.m. - Portland Parks & Rec/Matt Dishman Community Center
- May 11 (Wed.): 4-7 p.m. - St. Vincent Screening Clinic
- May 18 (Wed.): 5-8 p.m. - Providence Medical Group - Camas, WA
- May 19 (Thurs.): 6-8 p.m. - Banks High School
- May 24 and 25 (Tues./Wed.): 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Sherwood High School
- June 1 (Wed.): 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Scappoose High School
- June 2 & 3 (Thurs./Fri.): 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Beaverton High School
- June 4 (Sat.): 8 a.m.-noon - St. Vincent Screening Clinic
- June 9 (Thurs.): 5-8 p.m. - Timber Academy (Beaverton facility)
- June 22 (Wed.): 4-7 p.m. - St. Vincent Screening Clinic
- June 27 (Mon.): 1:30-4 p.m. - University of Portland
- July 9 (Sat.): 7-10 p.m. - Portland Parks & Rec/Charles Jordan Community Center
- July 13 (Wed.): 4-7 p.m. - Providence Medical Group - Milwaukie
- July 20 (Wed.): 4-7 p.m. - St. Vincent Screening Clinic
- July 22 (Fri.): 6-10 p.m. - Portland Parks & Rec/Matt Dishman Community Center
- Aug 3 (Wed.): 3-9 p.m. - McMinnville High School
- Aug 5 (Fri.): 6-9:30 p.m. - Portland Parks & Rec/East Portland Community Center
- Aug 17 (Wed.): 4-7 p.m. - St. Vincent Screening Clinic
- Aug 19 (Fri.): 6-9:30 p.m. - Portland Parks & Rec/Mt. Scott Community Center
- Aug 23 (Tues.): 4-9 p.m. - Portland Parks & Rec/Montavilla Community Center
- Aug. 29 (Mon.): 2:30-7 p.m. - University of Portland
- Sept 3 (Sat.): 8 a.m. to noon - St. Vincent Screening Clinic
- Sept. 14 (Wed.): 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Warrenton High School
- Sept. 21 (Wed.): 3-7 p.m. - Multnomah Athletic Club
- Sept. 29 & 30 (Wed./Thurs.): 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Yamhill/Carlton High School
- Oct 11 & 12 (Tues./Wed.): 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. - McMinnville High School
Other helpful sites