School Outreach Internship Program
The Providence School Outreach Department offers paid internships for college seniors each quarter. Undergraduate seniors from any major are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to first generational college students (parents/guardians have not earned a Bachelor’s degree).
Internships are offered in a variety of non-clinical roles to give students experience in different Providence departments. Examples of departments include: Providence Brain and Spine Institute, Finance, Emergency Management, Operational Excellence, School Outreach, Communications, New Patient Call Center, Physical Therapy, and more!
The internships are designed to provide mentorship, training and opportunities to develop new skills. Some interns will have specific job roles while others will have project-based responsibilities. As an intern, you’ll have:
- Providence employee orientation
- Exposures to various departments within Providence
- Opportunities to participate in surgical viewings and/or career exposure events
- 2-3 intern workshops on topics including: Professionalism and How to Get a Job
- Opportunity to join the Providence College Club (a monthly opportunity to meet and hear from various health care professionals)
- Length of program: 10-12 weeks, maximum of 240 total hours
- Number of positions available: 7-25 depending on the quarter (more positions are available in the summer)
- Compensation: Competitive (health care benefits are not included)
Undergraduate seniors are eligible. Applicants should be Oregon or SW Washington residents or attending a college or university in this region.
The applicant must demonstrate a commitment to helping underserved members of our communities. Those with good customer service skills who can relate well with individuals from varying backgrounds are preferred.
Participants can work 1-5 days a week, but no more than 20 hours per week and 8 hours per day. 240 hours are allotted to selected applicants. Internship days can be scheduled around academic responsibilities. Time off will be considered, but not necessarily granted.
Apply through the Providence Careers website. Search “internship” to find positions. Please include a resume.
2017 Important Dates
Application acceptance dates: Internships will be posted on the Providence Careers website on the dates listed below. The posting will remain open until we receive enough qualified applicants, typically 2-4 weeks after the opening date.
- Summer 2017 internship posting open: February 16, 2017
- Fall 2017 internship posting open: June 16, 2017. Posting will close on July 14, 2017.
- Winter 2018 internship posting open: October 2017
Internship term dates: The official start and end dates of each internship term are listed below. However, if an intern completes 240 hours before the official end date, the internship will be completed at that point.
- Summer 2017: June 26-September 8
- Fall 2017: September 11-December 15
Interview dates: After applying, selected candidates will be sent an online, video recorded interview that can be completed on a smart phone, computer, or tablet. Candidates selected to move forward will then be invited to an in-person, panel style interview. The dates below are for the in-person interviews. Dates are subject to change.
- Summer 2017 interview dates: March 23, 24
- Fall 2017 interview dates: July 31, Aug. 1
Fall 2017 internship descisions will be finalized by August 18.