Domestic Violence Safety Plan
The following steps can help me protect myself in case of further abuse. I can't control my abuser's violence, but I can choose how to respond and how to get to safety. I will decide for myself if and when I will tell others that I have been abused or that I am still at risk. Friends, family and co-workers can help protect me if they know what is happening and how they can help.
To increase my safety, I can do some or all of the following:
- When I have to talk to my abuser in person, I can: ___________________________________
- When I talk to my abuser on the phone, I can: _______________________________________
- I will make up a “code word” for my family, co-workers and friends to let them know when I need help. My code word is: __________________________________
- When I feel a fight coming on, I will try to move to a place where I'm least likely to get hurt such as _________________(at work) or ___________________ (at home) or _________________________ (in public)
- I can tell my family, co-workers, boss or a friend about my situation. I feel safe telling: _______________________________
- I can use an answering machine or ask my co-workers, friends or family members to screen my calls and visitors. I have the right not to receive harassing phone calls. I can ask ______________________(at work) or ____________________(at home) to screen my phone calls.
- I can keep change for phone calls with me at all times. I can call any of the following people for help or support if necessary. I can ask them to call the police if they see my abuser bothering me.
- When leaving work I can: ____________________________________________
- When walking, riding or driving home, if problems occur, I can: ____________________________________________
- I can attend a support group for women who have been abused. Support groups are held: ____________________________ at ___________________________________
- Telephone numbers I need to know:
Police/sheriff's department: ______________________________
Probation officer: _____________________________________
Domestic violence/sexual assault program:___________________
Reprinted and revised with permission from the Family Violence Prevention Fund.