Lung Cancer Facts
- Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in the United States among every ethnic group … 1 in every 3 cancer deaths.
- Lung cancer will kill twice as many women as breast cancer
- Lung cancer will kill over three times as many men as prostate cancer.
- Lung cancer will kill more people this year than breast, prostate, colon, liver, kidney and melanoma cancers combined.
- Smoking cessation is essential for prevention of lung cancer.
- Clinical trials are testing promising new treatments.
Statement of Need
Thoracic malignancies constitute 13 percent of cancer diagnoses and represent a significant cause of morbidity and mortality in the United States. Recent advances in diagnostics, staging and treatment give patients and families hope for longer and better quality of life. Lung Cancer for Primary Care Medicine was offered to educate primary care professionals of the latest technological advances and research findings, and to address new tools to aid the patient suffering from the disease.