Telestroke: About us
Providence Stroke Center is a leader in comprehensive, state-of-the-art stroke care, education and research. The center is part of Providence Brain Institute, a comprehensive, integrated neuroscience program that treats conditions of the brain and spine. Here, physicians and surgeons from a variety of disciplines work with referring physicians to design treatment and rehabilitation plans focused on each patient’s needs. Among our physicians are fellowship-trained specialists, leading researchers and experts in the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques.
Consistent excellence in stroke care:
- Oregon’s first Primary Stroke Center, as certified by The Joint Commission
- A national leader in stroke research, offering clinical trials opportunities
- Decades of experience providing high-level stroke care
Neurointerventional and neurosurgical services
Our 24-hour neurointerventional and neurosurgical on-call teams at Providence St. Vincent and Providence Portland medical centers offer rapid diagnosis and use the most advanced methods to remove clots, repair broken arteries and restore blood flow to the brain. We meet the needs of patients with ischemic stroke, transient ischemic attack and hemorrhagic stroke.
Providence maintains one of the largest and most comprehensive neurointerventional practices in the state, including:
- The region’s most advanced biplane catheterization lab for removing blood clots and repairing aneurysms
- All appropriate diagnostic services, including cerebral angiogram
- The MER CI clot-retrieval system to remove or destroy blood clots using a minimally invasive approach
- Endovascular coiling of ruptured and unruptured aneurysms
- Carotid artery stenting to maintain blood flow through vessels
Our skilled team of neurosurgeons is equipped with the most advanced tools for:
- Craniectomy and hemispheric decompression, carotid endarterectomy and aneurysm clipping
- Arteriovenous malformation resection to prevent stroke while minimizing disturbances of normal brain tissue
- Nonsurgical treatment of AVMs using the Northwest’s only Gamma Knife Perfexion
- Other simple and complex intracranial procedures, many of which use minimally invasive approaches
A team approach to care
Neurologists, neurosurgeons, neurointerventionalists, radiologists, emergency physicians, nurses and therapists work together to guide each patient’s care, both in the hospital’s dedicated stroke units and after the patient returns home. Our expert inpatient rehabilitation services include physical, occupational and speech therapy, as well as home and outpatient therapy.
Learn about our staff.
Valerie Mays, R.N., B.S.N.
Providence Telestroke Network
9205 S.W. Barnes Road, suite 1120
Portland, OR 97225
Phone: 503-216-2686 or 503-216-2706
Patient Web site: www.providence.org/brain