Newborn safety and security information
We have taken numerous precautions to assure the safety of you and your new baby. There are also a few things you can to to help protect yourself and your family.
- Become familiar with the nurses caring for you and your baby.
- Only employees who are wearing official hospital name badges are authorized to take your baby from your room. The badge includes the Providence Health & Services, states the employee’s name and department, has a pink boarder, and features color photo identification. Never allow anyone without this type of a name badge to take your baby from your room.
- You or a family member is always welcome to accompany your baby for procedures done outside of your room. You may question anyone who comes into your room. If you have questions or are unsure about anyone in your room, please press your call light. Your nurse will assist you immediately.
- At the time of your baby’s birth, your nurse will place matching identification bands on you, your baby, and one other person you designate. Only you, the other designated and banded person, or properly identified staff members should be with your baby outside your room.
- Never leave your baby alone or unsupervised in your room. If you need to leave your room, go to the bathroom or take a shower, do not leave your baby alone. Call your nurse and ask that your baby go to the nursery while you are unavailable to oversee him or her.
- When your infant is returned from the nursery, the nurse will verify that the infant’s identification bands match yours.