Mission statement: "The mission of the Providence Portland Internal Medicine Residency is to help our residents define and reach their maximum professional and personal potential"
To achieve this vision, our curriculum emphasizes mentorship, role modeling and rigorous clinical experiences that balance clinical exposure to outpatient general medicine, inpatient medicine and internal medicine subspecialties with understanding of the health care system, evidence based medicine and quality improvement.
Our residents' careers testify to the success in this quest.
Balanced support for all paths
- General medicine-from continuity practice to home care to geriatrics
- Hospitalists-Lead hospitalists in multiple different systems, from small rural to large urban
- Subspecialty-from clinical practices to academics at NIH
Our core faculty’s principal focus is on our residents. We have 20 core faculty for our 30 residents—an exceptionally rich commitment.
- Structured mentorship-we invite you to learn more about these built-in opportunities as you look through the website and when you visit.
- Informal mentorship—at Providence Portland, you work with the faculty 1:1 on the wards, in the clinic and on subspecialties. You get to personally know academic faculty who can assist you in achieving your educational and career goals.
Special curricular features that will uniquely enhance your education
- 3 year longitudinal on quality improvement curriculum
- Procedure rotation
- Advanced Focus areas
- Week-long theme based, small group noon conferences
- Shared Practice opportunities
- Individualized faculty mentoring
- Rich academic environment
- Presentations at regional/national meetings
- Unique progressive responsibility structure on the wards
Providence Portland: What Makes Us Special?