Mission statement: "The mission of the Providence Portland Internal Medicine Residency is to help our residents define and reach their maximum professional and personal potential"
To achieve this vision, our curriculum emphasizes mentorship, role modeling and rigorous clinical experiences that balance clinical exposure to outpatient general medicine, inpatient medicine and internal medicine subspecialties with understanding of the health care system, evidence based medicine and quality improvement.
Our residents' careers testify to the success in this quest. Balanced support for all paths:
- 33 percent general medicine (outpatient)
- 33 percent general medicine (inpatient)
- 33 percent subspecialty fellowship
Our core faculty are focused on our residents as the major focus of their career. We have 20 core faculty for our 30 residents—an exceptionally rich commitment.
- Structured mentorship-we invite you to learn more about these built-in opportunities as you look through the website and when you visit.
- Informal mentorship—at Providence Portland, you work with the faculty 1:1 on the wards, in the clinic and on subspecialties. You get to personally know academic faculty who can assist you in achieving your educational and career goals.
Special curricular features that will uniquely enhance your education
- Population-Based Health rotation
- Evidence-Based Medicine rotation
- Procedure rotation
- Advanced Focus areas
- Shared Practice opportunities
All residents over the past decade, who wanted a fellowship obtained one in their desired specialty:
- Individualized faculty mentoring
- Rich academic environment
- Presentations at regional/national meetings
- Participation in quality improvement
Diversity of career paths:
- General medicine-from continuity practice to home care to geriatrics
- Hospitalists-Lead hospitalists in multiple different systems, from small rural to large urban
- Subspecialty-from clinical practices to academics at NIH
Providence Portland: What Makes Us Special?