Risk Factors for osteoporosis and fractures
Fill out this quick risk assessment, based on National Osteoporosis Foundation recommendations for bone density testing, to learn about your risk for osteoporosis. All "No" answers equal 0 points. Score other answers as instructed.
- Do you weigh less than 127 lbs.? _____ If you answered yes, give yourself 1 point.
- Have your parents or siblings experienced spine or hip fractures? _____ If yes, give yourself 2 points.
- Do you currently smoke? _____ If yes, give yourself 1 point.
- Have you experienced a spine fracture or lost more than 1 inch in height since menopause? _____ If yes, give yourself 4 points.
- Have you had a fracture of your wrist, ankle, arm, leg, pelvisor ribs since age 50? _____ If yes, give yourself 3 points.
- Are you at least 65 years of age? ________ If yes, give yourself 2 points.
TOTAL POINTS _____
TOTAL POINTS FRACTURE RISK
More than 4: High
According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation bone density measurements are indicated in all women at least 65 years of age, in men and women who have had fractures since age 50, and in all postmenopausal women with any of the other risk factors listed.
Osteoporosis information from Providence