Recipes - Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup mushrooms, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Put lentils in pot and pour water over them until an inch above the lentils. Bring to boil and then let simmer with the lid on, about 20-25 minutes. The lentils should be tender but not mushy. Add more water if needed. Drain and add salt.
- Meanwhile, bake squash halves, cut side down, on a spray-oiled cookie sheet at 375° for 30 minutes or until flesh is soft.
- Heat olive oil and sauté onions and mushrooms until onions are transparent, about 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer cooked lentils and onion mixture to a large bowl. Use a spoon to scrape flesh from squash leaving skin intact and add to lentils and onions. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon mixture into squash shells and reheat just before serving.
Per Serving: 343 calories, 10 gm protein, 52 gm carbohydrate, 14 gm fat, 2 gm sat fat, 4 gm mono fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 10 gm fiber, 310 mg sodium