Recipes - Pasta Puttenesca
Serve with green salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 3.75-ounce can sardines, packed in water, drained
- 1 28-ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup olives, green or black, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano, fresh chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoons basil, fresh or 1 teaspoon dried
- 8 ounces dried whole wheat pasta, rotelle or seashell
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sardines and stir together to form a paste, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, capers, olives, red and black pepper, oregano, and basil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in 4 cups water until al dente and drain.
- Combine pasta and sauce and toss to coat.
- Divide onto 4 plates, garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese, and serve.
Per Serving: 340 calories, 17 gm protein, 52 gm carbohydrate, 10 gm fat, 2 gm sat fat, 5 gm mono fat, 19 mg cholesterol, 2 gm fiber, 608 mg sodium.