Recipe - Yogurt Parfait and Healthy Hot Cereal
Start each day with a heart-healthy breakfast
The Yogurt Parfait packs great nutritional power with three food groups represented first thing in the morning. To get the best yogurt, read the label. Make sure that the sugar content is low and the active yogurt cultures are listed in the first few ingredients.
- 3 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 12 ounces unsweetened fruit such as fresh or frozen berries and melon
- 8 tablespoons low-fat granola
- Put about half of the yogurt in four separate bowls or clear tall glasses.
- Put half of the fruit on top of the yogurt followed by half of the granola.
- Repeat the process and serve.
Per serving: 151 calories, 11 gm protein, 27 gm carbohydrate, 1 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 0 gm mono fat, 3 mg cholesterol, 2 gm fiber, 150 gm sodium
Healthy Hot Cereal
Double the hot cereal recipe on the weekend and microwave portions weekdays. Flax seed is a great source of Omega 3 fatty acid and helps boost the HDL cholesterol level. Put a freshly ground tablespoon on any morning breakfast.
- 3 cups water
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a heavy saucepan, bring the water to boil
- Stir in oats, wheat germ, and flax.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, stir in raisins, and cinnamon. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
Per serving: 235 calories, 8 gm protein, 43 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 1 gm mono fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 7 gm fiber, 10 gm sodium