Recipe - Waist Not, Want Not Refrigerator Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 rib celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup barley, rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon each dried oregano, basil, black pepper
- 1 cup water
- plus leftovers, see The Seasoned Cook below
- Heat oil in a heavy pot on medium high and sauté onion for 4 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add carrot and celery and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until barley is tender, about 35-40 minutes.
- 10 minutes before completion, add leftovers below, heat through and serve.
Per serving (based on basic recipe above): 192 calories, 9g protein, 33g carbohydrate, 4g fat, 1g sat fat, 2g mono fat, 0mg cholesterol, 8g fiber, 99g sodium
The Seasoned Cook: Got leftovers? You have the makings of a great soup. Start with cooked lean meat or low-fat sausage, then add two cups of fresh or cooked veggies on hand. And don't forget the freezer, where all kinds of treasures await.