Recipe - Upside Down Wilted Spinach Salad
With these staples from your pantry, you can have a quick meal on the table in 15 minutes. Serving the greens on top allows each person to mix them in as they like. Spinach is nutrient dense and calorie light, offering vitamins K and A, manganese, folate, iron and many more.
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium tomatoes, with juice
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cups spinach, or other leafy greens
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan
- In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until slightly browned.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add beans and simmer 3 more minutes.
- Turn off heat and season with pepper.
- Dish into wide bowls, divide spinach among each serving and top with Parmesan. As they are mixed in, the greens will wilt to create a warm salad.
Per serving: 146 calories, 8g protein, 22 carbohydrate, 4g fat, 1g sat fat, 2g mono fat, 6mg cholesterol, 8g fiber, 479mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK:
This dish serves 2 as a complete meal, and 4 with additional protein. Add more protein with grilled shrimp, fish, or an egg, as shown here. This recipe works equally well with whatever beans you have on hand. For a bit more bite, mix in some arugula with the spinach.