Recipe - Unbelievable Chicken Curry
Serve over lentils
If you’ve always wanted to try making curry at home, this is the recipe to try. People will think you’ve been doing it for years! Don’t worry if the yogurt curdles—it doesn’t distract from this incredibly flavorful dish. In this dish, we deglaze the pan to save the ginger and garlic flavor that may stick to the pan. Asian curries are traditionally garnished with chutney, coconut, chopped parsley, green onions, and even finely chopped fruit. Try using the chutney recipe from the pork menu in this booklet with this dish.
- Canola oil spray
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
- 6-8 cloves garlic, crushed (approximately 3 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger root, crushed
- ½ large onion, coarsely chopped (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled, cut into ½" cubes (approximately 2 cups)
- 1 large zucchini, cut into ½" cubes (approximately 2 cups)
- ½ large red pepper cut into strips
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- Spray large sauté pan with oil. Brown chicken and set aside.
- In same pan sauté garlic, ginger, and onion until onion is translucent, stirring often. Add to chicken.
- Deglaze the pan with 2 tablespoons of chicken stock and add to chicken.
- Spray pan with oil and sauté eggplant, zucchini, and red pepper about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are just tender, stirring often. Add chicken mixture and remaining chicken stock. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add yogurt and curry powder, mix thoroughly and serve over lentils.
Lentils, a member of the bean family, are very high in fiber. They cook quickly and get mushy if overcooked. If you prefer, substitute brown rice.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Bring water to boil.
- Add lentils and garlic, cover pot and reduce to simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until lentil are just tender.
Per serving: 363 calories, 41 gm protein, 46 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 1 gm mono fat, 52 mg cholesterol, 20 gm fiber, 165 gm sodium