Recipe - Tuned-Up Tuna Casserole
- 4 ounces whole-wheat pasta such as fusilli or bow tie
- 1 medium onion, chopped (approx. ½ cup)
- 1 cup broccoli florets (about 1” in diameter)
- 3 medium mushrooms, chopped, divided
- ¼ cup nonfat milk
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon each cornstarch and whole wheat flour
- 1 cup, plus 2 Tbsp shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 5 ounce can tuna (in water), drained
- 2 sardines (canned), drained and chopped
- ¼ cup black olives, pitted and sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Cook pasta in 2 cups water until tender – drain and let cool, retaining water.
- Sauté onion, 2 mushrooms and broccoli in 2 Tbsp pasta water until onions are transparent and lightly browned, approx. 5 minutes. If necessary, add 2-3 more Tablespoons of the pasta water. Set aside to cool.
- Finely chop the remaining mushroom and lightly sauté in 1 Tbsp pasta water until water evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, chicken broth, cornstarch, whole-wheat flour and oregano. Then, add to sautéed mushroom. Simmer until thickened and then thin with the remaining pasta water until it has the consistency of gravy.
- Place the noodles, tuna, sardines, olives, vegetable mixture and cheese (except 2 Tablespoons), in a large bowl. Toss thoroughly. Add mushroom sauce and mix again. Place in oiled 8- inch square baking dish. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
Per serving: 367 calories, 27g protein, 31g carbohydrates, 16g fat (8 sat, 6 mono/poly), 72mg cholesterol, 5g fiber, 200mg sodium