Recipe - Traditional Hot & Sour Soup
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ small onion, cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch-thick slices
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 carrot, peeled & cut into matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper or chili
- garlic sauce
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 large whole egg, beaten
- 2 large scallions, trimmed and cut crosswise into ¼ inch-thick slices
- 6 oz. firm tofu, cut into ½ inch cubes
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic and onion, cover and stir occasionally, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté about 4 minutes.
- Add broth, carrots, ginger, black pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Place cornstarch in a small bowl and whisk in soy sauce and vinegar. Slowly whisk cornstarch mixture into soup. Simmer until soup is thickened and clear, 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- While stirring in one direction, pour in beaten egg. Add tofu, cover soup, and let stand 1 minute. Remove the cover and add scallions. Serve hot.
Per serving: 152 calories, 12g protein, 14g carbohydrate, 7g fat, 1g sat fat, 4g mono fat, 53mg cholesterol, 2g fiber, 410mg sodium
The Seasoned Cook: For some heft as well as extra protein, add 4 ounces of cooked chicken, shrimp or pork. Additional vinegar will increase sourness. To keep tofu fresh for a week, cover with water and refrigerate, changing water daily.