This basic and affordable grain often gets passed up for its more exotic cousins. However, this dish reminds us that barley has a lovely taste AND terrific health benefits. Be sure to make extras for leftovers. Serve with Green Gusto Salad.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup barley
- ¼ cup raisins, golden or black
- Dash of salt
- 1 tablespoon each fresh rosemary and marjoram, minced or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, low-sodium
- In large saucepan, heat olive oil and sauté onion until translucent. Add mushrooms, celery and almonds. Cook 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in barley, raisins and seasonings until barley is coated with other ingredients.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil for 2 minutes, reduce to simmer for 55 minutes.
Per serving: 254 calories, 10g protein, 35g carbohydrate, 10g fat, 1g sat , 6g mono, 0mg cholesterol, 8g fiber, 80mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK:
Substitute other grains for the barley. Keeps well and makes great leftovers.