Recipe - Sweet and Crunchy Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions (about one bunch)
- ½ cup dried cherries*, chopped
- ½ cup chopped parsley
* May substitute chopped apricots, cranberries or raisins
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt, optional
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- Place quinoa and broth in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat; simmer 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, place almonds in a small pan over medium heat and toss until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl until well blended.
- While the quinoa is still warm, stir in the green onions, cherries, parsley, and almonds, then toss with the dressing and serve.
Per serving: 262 calories, 8g protein, 39g carbohydrate, 9g fat, 1g sat fat, 5g mono fat, 0mg cholesterol, 3g fiber, 44mg sodium (with optional salt: 141mg sodium)
The Seasoned Cook: If you're new to quinoa (KEEN-wah), this is a great first-time recipe. Nutritious and high in protein, quinoa is one of those perfect whole grains to have on hand: it's faster to prepare than brown rice and it's high in protein. Serve this with a green veggie for a vegetarian meal, or add some additional protein for meat lovers, as pictured here.