Recipe - Southwest Turkey Polenta Pie
This is an upscale version of childhood sloppy joes, but heart-healthy.
- 2 cups water
- ⅔ cup polenta
- 1 teaspoon low-fat margarine
- 1 tablespoon low-fat grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon each, minced garlic, dried oregano, ground cumin, chili powder
- 1 cup low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons, prepared chunky salsa
- Optional garnish: ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Bring water to rolling boil.
- Gradually add polenta while continuously stirring.
- Turn heat down so polenta is barely bubbling. Continue to stir occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Mix in margarine and Parmesan cheese.
- Pour into loaf or 8-inch square pan to cool and set, while preparing turkey.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat.
- Add turkey, breaking up meat until cooked through and lightly browned.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer mixture until most of liquid is absorbed.
When polenta is firmly set, cut into pie shape wedges and place in shallow bowls. Dish turkey mixture over polenta and garnish with cilantro.
Per serving: 309 calories, 32g protein, 31g carbohydrate, 6g fat, 1g sat fat, 3g mono fat, 71mg cholesterol, 3g fiber, 442 mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK:
The polenta can be made ahead and served at room temperature.