Recipe - Shrimp Tex-Mex Salad
Serve with baked corn tortilla chips
This meal takes no time to put together. The freshly baked tortilla chips make it special. Black beans are high in fiber and a good protein substitute for meat and make a vegetarian alternative for this meal.
- 4 cups chopped mixed greens to include lettuce and red cabbage
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can corn, drained
- ½ cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pitted black olives, sliced
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 20 medium cooked and peeled shrimp
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
Layer ingredients, beginning with the greens on the bottom and finishing with the cilantro on top.
Per serving: 287 calories, 20 gm protein, 52 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 1 gm mono fat, 50 mg cholesterol, 14 gm fiber, 100 gm sodium
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 4 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon each optional to taste, cumin and chili powder
- Optional for more heat: Tabasco sauce to taste
In medium bowl whisk together all ingredients. Pour in small pitcher and serve with salad.
Per serving: 51 calories, 4 gm protein, 8 gm carbohydrate, 0 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat,0 gm mono fat, 3 mg cholesterol, 0 gm fiber, 58 gm sodium