Recipe - Savory Supper Frittata with Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots
Serve with roasted cauliflower and carrots in mustard sauce
Not familiar with the glories of kale? It has five times the amount of Vitamin A of Swiss chard and 12 times the amount of Vitamin C than spinach. To reduce cholesterol, use fewer eggs and increase egg whites (2 egg whites for one egg). Frittatas can also be made entirely on top of the stove. Turn the heat down very low, cover skillet, and cook until eggs are set. For less than $5 for four people, this is one of the most economical and nutritious main dishes you can make.
- 1 bunch kale, Swiss chard or spinach (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, in bite-sized strips
- 4 eggs
- 8 egg whitesblack pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat broiler.
- To prepare greens, remove tough ribs and stems and chop leaves into bite-sized pieces.
- In a nonstick, oven-proof skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until golden. Add red pepper and sauté briefly. Add greens and a splash of water, just enough to wilt the greens. Cover pan and allow the greens to steam until tender, 5-10 minutes, depending on the greens you use. The denser the leaf, the more cooking is needed.
- Whisk whole eggs and egg whites with 2 tablespoons water. Add pepper.
- Remove lid and pour egg mixture evenly over vegetables. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Broil just until eggs are set, about 6-8 minutes. Remove, cut into wedges, and serve with roasted vegetables.
Per Serving: 212 calories, 18 gm protein, 12 gm carbohydrate, 10 gm fat, 3 gm sat fat, 5 gm mono fat, 216 mg cholesterol, 2 gm fiber, 287 mg sodium
Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots in Mustard Sauce
- Cauliflower, like broccoli is rich in Vitamin C, beta carotene, and folic acid. You can use this basic dressing over other vegetable combinations, too.
- 1 small head cauliflower, trimmed into florets (about 2 cups)
- 1 pound carrots (about 4 large), diagonally cut into 1" slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon prepared mustard or your favorite specialty mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt to taste, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°
- In a bowl, toss cauliflower florets and carrots with 2 teaspoons olive oil and pepper. Cover and microwave five minutes.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil spray. Place vegetables in a single layer in the pan. Roast 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender and cauliflower edges are browned.
- While the vegetables are roasting, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, mustard, horseradish, and honey in a small bowl. Remove vegetables from oven, toss with the sauce and parsley. Cover and keep warm until frittata is done.
Per serving: 138 calories, 3 gm protein, 18 gm carbohydrate, 7 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 4 gm mono fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 5 gm fiber, 213 mg sodiu