Recipe - Savory Squash with Smoky Pork Chops
- 1½ pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into ½ inch slices
olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons each rosemary and sage,chopped
- 4 pork chops (bone in about 1 3/4 pounds; boneless 1¼ pounds)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon total fi nely chopped fresh herbs (i.e. thyme, sage, rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Mix together paprika, black pepper, spices and herbs and rub onto pork chops evenly. Set aside.
- Place squash and herbs in a mixing bowl, spray liberally with cooking spray and toss until squash is well coated. Spread in a single layer onto a baking sheet and place in the oven for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and heat. Add the coated chops, searing on each side until golden brown. Place pork chops on top of squash in the oven and bake another 15 minutes or until pork internal temperature is 150-155° and squash is fork tender.
Per serving: 505 calories, 32g protein, 22g carbohydrate, 12g fat, 2g sat fat, 7g mono fat, 75mg cholesterol, 4g fi ber, 72mg sodium
Seasoned Cook: Green beans make a great complement to this dish. Season and put them in the oven at the same time as the pork chops, so they fi nish together. Out of the oven, the chops will need to rest for 15 minutes to be their juicy and tender best.