Recipe - Savory Baked Apples
A dessert so delicious, you won't believe it's 100% fat free. And so easy, it will become a favorite.
- 4 baking apples such as Rome or Jonathan Gold
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Core apples to ½ inch of bottom.
- Combine the dry ingredients plus ½ teaspoon of the water in a small bowl and mix, then spoon into the cavities until full.
- Set apples in an 8" x 8" baking pan, pour remainder of water in pan bottom, seal in foil and bake 30 minutes or until apples are soft.
- Serve warm. Optional toppings include a dollop of nonfat frozen yogurt or nonfat sour cream.
Per serving: 93 calories, 0 protein, 24 gm carbohydrate, 0 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 0 gm mono fat, 2 gm fiber, 5 mg sodium