We're trying to eat at least one meatless dinner per week without losing flavor.
The colorful veggies and lentils are filled with nutrition in this fiber and protein rich meal. The cheese creates a creamy satisfying taste, too. Serve with grapefruit and avocado salad.
- 2 cups broth, chicken or vegetable, low-sodium
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon each black pepper and oregano
- 6 cups mixed vegetables, thinly sliced or diced, such as:
broccoli, squash, onion, red bell pepper, carrots
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 ounces crumbled goat or blue cheese
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- In a medium pot, bring chicken broth and water to boil. Add lentils, garlic, black pepper and oregano. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a vegetable steamer, cook vegetables until just tender.
- Put lemon juice, oil and mustard in a small jar and shake until blended.
- Put all ingredients, except cheese, in a large bowl and toss until well coated.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
Per serving: 375 calories, 22g protein, 47g carbohydrate, 13g fat, 4g sat fat, 6g mono fat, 11mg cholesterol, 19g fiber, 212mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK:
This dish adapts to whatever beans or grains are in your pantry and whatever vegetables are in season.