Recipe - Portuguese Lentil Soup
This is our heart-healthy twist on that classic. Our version offers both low-calorie, nutrient-dense kale; lentils, which provide great fiber and folate, and of course, some sausage for flavoring.
- ½ pound spicy chicken sausage (about 3), sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup lentils, picked over, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ bunch kale, collards, or Swiss chard, stems and center ribs discarded and sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Fresh ground black pepper
- In a 3-quart heavy saucepan, brown sausage over moderate heat. Add onion and cook until soft and golden.
- Add lentils, water and broth and bring to boil. Simmer covered, 30 minutes, or until lentils are almost tender.
- Add greens and simmer, uncovered, until tender, 10 minutes. Just before serving, add lemon juice and sprinkle pepper to taste.
Per serving: 233 calories, 16g protein, 25g carbohydrate, 11g fiber, 8g fat, 2g sat fat, 3g mono fat, 20mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK:
Take advantage of the vast array of winter greens, collards, Swiss chard, and escarole in this easy to make soup. Make a large batch to enjoy leftovers, freeze, or feed a crowd with a green salad and hearty bread.