Recipe - Popeye's Spinach and Bean Soup
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium kidney or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 24-ounce can no-salt tomatoes, chopped, use liquid
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chopped spinach pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot stir in beans, tomatoes, broth, onions, cinnamon, and cumin.
- Heat soup to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir spinach into soup. Season to taste with pepper.
Per serving: 200 calories, 12 gm protein, 37 gm carbohydrate, 1 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 1 gm mono fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 5 gm fiber, 244 mg sodium It’s easy to use spinach these days because it comes pre-bagged. Just rinse and cut off the stems. Spinach packs a wallop of beta-carotene and is rich in other vitamins and minerals. Read labels for sodium content carefully because the amount can vary greatly.