Recipe - Perfect-Every-Time Salmon Packets
- 4 sheets of foil or parchment paper (approx. 12" x 12" each)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice*
- 4 cups coarsely chopped spinach
- 1 14.5-ounce can low-sodium stewed tomato slices
- 1 pound salmon filet, cut into 4 pieces
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (or lemon)
- Freshly ground black pepper
*May substitute any cooked whole grain, lentils, or beans, or omit this ingredient.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Arrange 4 sheets of foil on a work surface. Layer the ingredients beginning with ¼ of the following: rice, followed by the spinach, topped with the drained tomato slices.
- Place salmon on top and drizzle with one teaspoon of the olive oil, ¼ teaspoon dill, ½ teaspoon zest, and a dash of pepper. Seal tightly by folding edges and crimping. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on thickness, until fish flakes easily with a fork. Rest 5 minutes. Remove from foil and transfer to plates.
Per serving: 359 calories, 30g protein, 33g carbohydrate, 12g fat, 2g sat fat, 6g mono fat, 51mg cholesterol, 5g fiber, 371mg sodium.
The Seasoned Cook: You can assemble this dish 1-2 hours in advance and refrigerate. At meal time, simply turn on the oven and bake. The orange zest gives this dish an unexpected and delightful zing.