Recipe - Market-Fresh Noodle Stir-Fresh Noodle Stir-Fry
- 8 ounces 3/8 inch thick rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 4 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thin sliced diagonally
- 1 cup English cucumbers, cut length-wise, seeded, thinly sliced
- ½ pound (4 cups) napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced in thin matchsticks
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ cup cilantro
- Double portions for vegetarian
- Optional lean protein: 2 ounces per serving of cooked shrimp, seared scallops, thinly sliced beef, chicken, tofu or pork
- Rehydrate rice noodles in warm water until soft, about 15 to 30 minutes. Drain well just before cooking.
- Combine sauce ingredients and prepare vegetables, keeping in separate piles.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil and heat until a drop of water sizzles in the pan. Add garlic and onion; stir-fry.
- Add vegetables with longest cooking first, e.g. carrots, cucumber, cabbage, bell peppers, and bean sprouts. Stir occasionally to keep vegetables from burning, about 5 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan when 90% cooked.
- In same pan, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add rice noodles and press them down into the pan for about 30 seconds or until slightly crispy and translucent. Turn noodles over for another 30 seconds. Add the sauce mixture to the pan and toss. Return vegetables to pan and mix lightly. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Per serving: 233 calories, 5g protein, 47g carbohydrate, 4g fat, 1g sat fat,1g mono fat, 0mg cholesterol, 5g fi ber, 263mg sodium