Recipe - Mac's Hearty Beef Stew
A one-pot meal that's big on flavor.
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat unbleached flour
- ½ teaspoon each of dried rosemary, sage and thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces lean beef steak in ¾ inch cubes
- 1 cup beef broth, low-sodium
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- ½ inch thick
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- ½ inch thick with leaves
- 1 medium potato in ¾ inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, quartered
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, low-sodium
- ¼ cup nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine flour, rosemary, sage, thyme and pepper in a plastic bag. Add beef and shake to coat. Reserve any excess flour mixture.
- Heat oil in stew pot at medium heat and brown beef on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove beef from pot.
- Deglaze pot with ¼ cup of beef stock. Add carrots, onions, celery, potato, garlic, mushrooms and remainder of stock. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Return beef to pot with vegetables, add tomatoes and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are cooked, but still firm.
- Combine milk, reserved flour and cornstarch. Add mixture to pot and simmer until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Serve.
Per serving: 319 calories, 26 gm protein, 34 gm carbohydrate, 9 gm fat, 3 gm sat fat, 5 gm mono fat, 56 mg cholesterol, 6 gm fiber, 211 mg sodium