Recipe - Italian White Beans and Garlicky Swiss Chard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups Swiss chard or kale (about 1 bunch) rinsed and chopped
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in chard, broth and pepper flakes.
- Cover and cook over medium heat, about 4 minutes or until chard is wilted and crisp-tender.
- Add beans and heat through.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a splash of balsamic vinegar, if desired.
Per serving: 189 calories, 11g protein, 25g carbohydrate, 6g total fat, 2g sat fat, 3g mono fat, 6mg cholesterol, 6g fiber, 182mg sodium
The Seasoned Cook: A lush combination of flavors teams with great nutrition. If choosing low-fat sausage, pick one with no more than 3 grams of fat per 100 calories - or try a vegetarian version.