The ultimate one pot dinner -- fast and easy to assemble with all the ingredients to promote a healthy-heart. Serve with a leafy green salad.
- ¾ pound chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Olive oil spray
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers, yellow or red, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 14-16 ounce can diced tomatoes, low-sodium
- 2/3 cup chicken stock, low-sodium or white wine
- 1 tablespoon each oregano and basil
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Over medium heat, sauté the chicken in olive oil in a nonstick pan until golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Spray pan with olive oil, add onion, peppers, garlic and sauté until onions are translucent, 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice and stir. Place the chicken over mixture, add stock and sprinkle with herbs.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. To test when chicken is done, poke a knife in meat and juices should run clear.
- Mash half of the beans, then add to pot and stir into liquid until sauce thickens. Add the rest of beans and simmer for 5 minutes more. Serve in bowls with green salad and crusty bread.
Per serving: 324 calories, 28g protein, 29g carbohydrate, 8g fat, 2g sat, 4g mono, 78mg cholesterol, 6g fiber, 293mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK:
This is the perfect make-ahead dinner. Consider doubling the recipe --it makes great leftovers. To save time, prepare the night before to step 4.