On a busy night this is the ultimate fast food dinner– fast and easy to make -- comfort food. It's very heart-healthy because you control the condiments. Without the tortillas, it satisfies salad lovers, too.
- ½ pound cod or other firm white fish
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 15 ½ oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 6 whole wheat or corn 12-inch tortillas, warmed in low oven
Suggested Condiments: salsa, nonfat sour cream, shredded cabbage, diced tomatoes, sliced avocado and cilantro
- Season fish with pepper.
- Heat olive oil and sauté red pepper, onion, garlic and oregano. Place in a bowl.
- Sauté fish until cooked through, then flake into small pieces.
- Fold beans and olives into the fish and heat through. Add fish mixture to vegetables and sprinkle with lime juice.
- To make a taco, place mixture in center of tortilla with condiments. Fold opposite sides in and roll.
Per serving: 179 calories, 14g protein, 22g carbohydrate, 5g fat, 0g sat fat, 3g mono fat, 14mg cholesterol, 7g fiber, 485mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK:
Chop and dice ahead of time, so this dinner can be on the table as quickly as you want.