Recipe - DIY Pizza - Wholesome Whole-Wheat
Make your own whole-wheat pizza crust.
Yields 8 slices
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups whole-wheat flour (can mix with whole-wheat pastry)
- In a medium mixing-bowl, add yeast to warm water then wait a few minutes for yeast to activate.
- Add all other ingredients and stir. After most flour has been incorporated, begin using hands to knead the dough into a ball. Dough should be sticky and moist. If clumpy and dry, continue to add 1 tablespoon of water until dough sticks together.
- Form into a ball and leave in bowl, covered, for 1 hour to rise.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- After dough has doubled in size, spread over a non-stick 9x13 baking-sheet, add toppings of your choice, and bake for 10-15 minutes.
Per slice: (without toppings): 150 calories, 5g protein, 30g carbohydrate, 2 g fat (0 sat, 2 mono/poly), 0mg cholesterol, 5g fiber, 148mg sodium
Seasoned Cook: DIY means happy and healthy families. Set up a “pizza bar” including everyone’s favorite toppings. For a quicker crust, use whole-wheat tortillas, pitas or flatbreads that are high in fiber (>5 g/ serving), lower in calories, fat and salt than traditional pizza crust. Read the Nutrition Facts for nutritional analysis.