Recipe - Crustless Spinach Quiche
This quiche should be spelled "quick"; And you won't believe there's fewer than 200 calories per delicious serving.
Serve with sliced tomatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 6 cups fresh spinach or one 10-ounce package frozen spinach, well drained
- 2 large eggs plus
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- ½ teaspoon each dried dill weed, oregano, thyme, and black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spray a large skillet with canola oil and sauté onions with mushrooms until translucent. Set aside.
- Wash, dry, and coarsely chop spinach. Add 1 tablespoon water and spinach to skillet, sauté until just wilted (about 2-3 minutes). Press any liquid out of spinach using strainer. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and whites until frothy. Gently mix in ricotta, herbs, and spices. Fold in wilted spinach, onions, and mushrooms. Stir until everything is well coated with egg mixture.
- Lightly spray canola oil into an 8" x 8" ovenproof dish or deep pie pan, pour in mixture, sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and bake until browned and quiche is set in center (25-35 minutes). Let quiche cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 180 calories, 17 gm protein, 11 gm carbohydrate, 8 gm fat, 4 gm sat fat, 3 gm mono fat, 126 mg cholesterol, 2 gm fiber, 224 mg sodium