Recipe - Cinnamon Maple Granola
At last, a breakfast that’s quick, economical, healthy, and promises to satisfy the entire family. Our master granola recipe becomes the foundation for an array of breakfast ideas. Just add fresh or dried fruit and nonfat yogurt or milk.
- cooking spray
- ½ cup vegetable oil, such as canola
- ½ cup maple syrup, honey or cane syrup
- 1 cup raw, unsalted nuts such as walnut pieces, slivered blanched almonds
- 1 cup seeds such as fl ax, hulled pumpkin, sunfl ower
- 5 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly coat 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine oil and maple syrup with nuts, seeds, grains and spices. Stir well and spread thinly onto baking sheets.
- Bake for 20 minutes and stir mixture. Continue baking another 10–15 minutes until mixture is crispy and golden brown. Remove from oven and cool. Store in an air-tight container for about 2 weeks or in freezer for 1 month.
Per ½ cup serving: 270 calories, 7g protein, 27g carbohydrate, 16g fat, 2g sat fat, 8g mono fat, 0mg cholesterol, 4g fi ber, 3mg sodium
The Seasoned Cook: Combine grains, seeds, nuts, fruits and spices to your family’s liking. Note that while this recipe is high in fat, it’s the healthier fats. Pack individual portions for snacks on the go.