Recipe - Chunky Tomato Basil Sauce
Makes 2 cups
Why buy canned or bottled sauce? If you’re on a budget or want to control additives, such as sodium and sugar, this all-purpose sauce is ready in 15 minutes. Double the batch so there’s some extra to freeze.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sweet basil, dried, or ¼ cup fresh chopped
- ¼ cup water or broth
THE SEASONED COOK:
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in pan, add onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until onion is barely translucent.
- Add tomatoes and basil, stir and bring to low boil for 3-5 minutes depending on desired thickness.
Most people think of tomato sauce as just a basic for pasta, but when you’re making your own--why be ordinary? Try adding more heat with chili flakes, sweetness with diced carrots, or a chunkier texture with mushrooms, zucchini, or white beans. Tomatoes have nutrients which are known for lowering your LDL cholesterol.