Recipe - Braised Pork Chops with Cabbage and Apples
- 4 4-ounce lean pork chops without bone
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- ¾ cup apple cider
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- Brown pork chops lightly in hot olive oil, about two minutes each side. Transfer to a plate, set aside.
- Add cabbage, thyme, cider, and broth to pan. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce to simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add apples in a single layer and top with the pork chops.
- Cover and cook on medium heat until the pork chops are tender but not dry, about 8-10 minutes.
Per serving: 290 calories, 25 gm protein, 19 gm carbohydrate, 12 gm fat, 3 gm sat fat, 5 gm mono fat, 77 mg cholesterol, 3 gm fiber, 67 mg sodium
The secret to perfect pork chops is to start with a thicker center-cut loin chop. They are finished cooking when they are firm to the touch and their juices are slightly pink.