Recipe - BLT Club Salad
- 4 slices turkey bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 6 ounces roasted turkey breast, cut in cubes
- 8 cups mixed salad greens, chopped
- 1 large tomato, cut in small wedges
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 English cucumber, ½ inch diced
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- ½ cup packed basil, cut in thin ribbons (chiffonade)
- ½ avocado, cubed
Toss all ingredients in the bowl, and dress lightly with buttermilk dressing. Garnish with basil ribbons and avocado.
Per serving: 383 calories, 29g protein, 46g carbohydrates, 11g fat, 2gm sat fat,5g mono fat, 13gm fi ber, 287mg sodium, 46mg cholesterol
Makes 1½ cups
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, fi nely shredded
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ¾ cup green onion, sliced diagonally
- Whisk the buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, zest, and vinegar until blended.
- Add the dill and green onions and stir to blend.
Per 2 tablespoons: 40 calories, 0g protein, 4g carbohydrates, 2g fat, 2g sat fat, 0g mono fat, 4mg cholesterol, 0g fi ber,32mg sodium
The Seasoned Cook: This salad also shines with tuna, salmon or sardines in place of the bacon. If you miss the BLT as a sandwich, serve with whole wheat tortillas and make wraps. Serves 8.